Monday, April 25, 2011

Song Stuck In Your Head Syndrome (Condition not yet recognized in the DSM)

We've all been there before and probably many, many times. For seeminly no reason at all we get a song in our head that just won't leave. Sometimes it happens after having just heard a song and other times it just appears without reason or provocation. Technically speaking though, it isn't the song that's in our head, it's just one part. Often times it's the most annoying part and if it isn't it will be soon. This event can go one of two ways: either it's a song you hate and its repetition in your mind causes you further irritation (like scratching a rash) and frustration, or it's a song you like and will inevitably hate now because you're "hearing" it far more than is desired. Right now "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" by Cage the Elephant is being ruined for me. My mind seems intent on torturing me as somehow everytime I go to sleep (assuming I'm able to do so) with a song in my head, it's waiting for me with a big FU the moment I wake up. Talking, watching movies, and trying to play other music somehow doesn't hinder it. I'm stuck in a static state of suck. Alliterations kick ass.

"You know at this point it doesn't matter because it keeps running inside my head and the only way I'm gonna get it out is if I blow it out...WITH A BULLET!!!" - Carl, Aqua Teen Hunger Force

No comments:

Post a Comment